Maintaining a white smile is a great way to boost your self-confidence. A great smile can even help you get a first date or land a job interview. After whitening your teeth, it’s important to maintain your pearly whites so you can continue to wow people with a beautiful grin. Here are some easy tips to help you to preserve your new white smile.
1. Use a Soft Toothbrush, and Replace It Often. Using a soft toothbrush helps to preserve your tooth enamel. If you use a medium or hard-bristled brush, you can wear away the enamel, which will make it weaker and more susceptible to yellowing over time. It’s also important to replace your toothbrush every two to three months. Toothbrushes can hoard bacteria, which can in turn break down tooth enamel and contribute to bad breath and tooth decay.
2. Eat ‘Detergent’ Foods. Eating foods with lots of fiber such a celery, apples, raw carrots, and popcorn help to essentially “scrub” your teeth from particles that can cause cavities and tooth decay. These foods are best consumed as the last part of a meal or snack if you’re not able to brush your teeth after eating.
3. Use Mouthwash Regularly. Using mouthwash daily helps to kill the odor and bacteria that can advance enamel and tooth decay. Make sure that the mouthwash you choose is alcohol-free. Alcohol can dry out the inner tissues of your mouth, which can increase the breeding of bacteria and cause eventual tooth decay.
4. Floss Every Day. This is probably the most dreaded question asked by your dentist, but flossing is extremely important to your overall dental health and maintaining your pearly whites. Your toothbrush can’t reach every crevice and angle in your mouth, and floss can help to dislodge those tiny particles that can turn into major issues. It’s also important to floss after every meal. Keep floss at your desk, in your car, and in your purse or pocket to help remind you to floss often.
5. Drink Darker Beverages Through a Straw. Coffee, soft drinks, and wine all can stain your teeth over time. After whitening your teeth, the best way to maintain your smile is to drink darker liquids through a straw. Drinking through a straw helps the liquid to bypass your teeth so that you don’t stain them.
6. Ladies: Wear Lipstick! Wearing lipstick shades in blue undertones such as fuchsia or dark cherry help to make your teeth appear whiter. Lipsticks with a more yellow undertone such as nudes or mauves, can make your teeth appear yellower and more dingy.
7. Moderate Consumption of Acidic Foods. Eating foods with acid, such as oranges, lemons, pickles, and cranberries can wreak havoc on your enamel, making it easier for stains to get in and yellow your teeth. Drink water or milk after consuming acidic foods to help to rinse away as much acid as possible, but avoid brushing for a while. Acid breaks down the enamel, and immediately brushing afterward can actually brush it away and cause more damage.
8. Whiten Every Six Months. To maintain your white teeth, make sure to whiten them twice a year. Here at The Dental Centre, we offer in-office whitening or take-home whitening kits to best suit your specific needs.
9. Eat Foods with Calcium. Eat foods with calcium to keep your teeth strong. Cheese, dark leafy greens, milk, yogurt, broccoli, and almonds are all great choices to keep your calcium levels high for your optimal teeth health. Also, make sure to get some sunshine or take a vitamin D supplement as well. Vitamin D is needed to help the absorption of calcium, and consuming both will give your body the tools to keep your teeth strong and resilient.
10. See Your Dentist Regularly. Come see us at The Dental Centre every six months. We have an excellent staff dedicated to taking the best care of your smile possible. We know your dental health is important to you, and we can help you maintain the best smile of your life.
Your smile is your best asset, and a beautiful white smile gives you confidence. Keeping your teeth white is a great way to increase your self-esteem. Teeth whitening can give you a winning smile you’ll be sure to show off at the office or in social situations. At The Dental Centre, we are here to advise you in the best way to whiten your teeth and give you the tools to maintain it. Come see us today for your whitening and general dentistry needs!